In the previous installment of the Content Upgrade Challenge Chronicle, we embedded a content upgrade into Devin’s blog post.
The results from that Content Upgrade were disappointing: Zero subscribers from it.
We’ll analyze what happened, how we can improve, and also dive into our Facebook Lead Ads experiment!
Why Didn’t We Get Any Bites?
Looking at the google analytics for my blog post via Google Analytics >> Behavior >> Landing Pages shows that in the week I published the blog post with the content upgrade, only 40 sessions went to that page:
So if I only got about 40 people reading the post, we don’t have a very high sample size to know how good our content upgrade was.
In this case, I threw together the content upgrade fairly haphazardly and it was not directly tied into the blog post topic, so for future content upgrades I plan to make them more relevant to the post itself. That’s not always easy or quick to do but I’m going to find ways to make it work.
Things to Improve Next Post
This experiment showed me that:
- I need to make the content upgrade relevant to the post
- I need to drive more traffic to my post
Regarding the second point, I shared my post on social media but did so on the weekend at an odd time. I also emailed the writer of the book that I reviewed in the post and he said he would share the post but I don’t know if he did.
Secondly, blog posts where I review books are not the most exciting. I need to limit how many of those I do and instead focus on topics people find intriguing. I get review copies of books often but it then requires I read the book, write a blog post about it, and this is not the best use of my time, so I am going to start saying no to the book review requests.
Facebook Lead Ad Self-Liquidating Experiment
For our next experiment in building an audience, I’ve created a Facebook Lead Ad. The Lead Ad offers people in the audience I chose an ebook to download in exchange for their email.
I’ve set up my AWeber email account to connect with Facebook for the Lead Ad and so emails will go right into my main email list. The first email they will get sends them the link to the ebook being advertised in the Lead Ad.
Note: I used fiverr to generate the ebook cover for this ebook.
My goal with this ad is to generate email subscribers at a low enough cost so that the trip wire product I offer 6 days into my email sequence will pay for the ad cost.
The trip wire product goes out in the third email in the autoresponder sequence. So they get first email with ebook advertised, second email 3 days later is a nurture email with good info relevant to the same topic, third email goes out 3 days after that with trip wire product, a $39 ebook that I discount down to $9 for them via a coupon and special link.
So, for example, let’s say I can get email subscribers via my lead ad for $0.50 per lead. That would mean for $9 I will get 18 subscribers. I need one out of those 18 to buy the trip-wire, which is a 1/18 conversion percentage, or 5.5%.
That is a high conversion percentage to attain. My gut tells me I only will get a 1% or 2% conversion rate. But that is why we are running the experiment. If the ad doesn’t pay for itself, I will tweak it and iterate on different ideas to improve it. We’ll be blogging about this ongoing experiment in our chronicles here.
Of course, perhaps the leads only end up costing $0.20 to get, and my conversion rate is closer to 2% in that case. We’ll find out.
As a preview of how I plan to iterate on this experiment, I am thinking of adding urgency with deadline countdown timer for the trip wire, changing the service I am using to sell the ebook, and then segmenting my list based on whether they bought the trip wire ebook, to upsell with a higher priced course.
In the next installment we’ll detail how the Lead Ad is doing, cost per lead, and whether anyone has bought the trip wire.